Socket questions

Chris Reuter cgreuter at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Oct 22 02:12:12 UTC 2001

Hi folks,

I'm doing some NNTP stuff with Squeak 3.0 (Linux version, built from
sources) and have noticed some, er, unexpected behaviour from the
socket system:

	   1) Connecting to the server fails the first time I try it after
	   starting the VM.  Subsequent retrys always work.  Is this a
	   bug?

	   2) Is there a way of determining whether a connection is still
	   open?

	   I find that if I leave the client-end socket alone until
	   the server times out and closes the connection, #isConnected,
	   #isOtherEndClosed and the other queries all still indicate that
	   the socket is open.  I can continue to send a command up the
	   socket and don't get in trouble until I try to read the
	   results.

Has anyone run into either of these problems?  Am I doing something
wrong?

Thanks in advance,

                              --Chris