Debian and SqueakL revisited again...(was Re: Debian source package)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 23 16:22:04 UTC 2001

> This is mainly because of the export restrictions in SqueakL I believe.
> So... tough luck. We will probably not see Squeak in Debian proper.

I had overlooked the export restrictions....

> It should be able to pop up in non-free though.

It can't even go in non-free, because of this clause:

 5. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold Apple harmless from
any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including but not
limited to attorneys' fees and costs of suit) incurred by Apple as a
result of any claim, proceeding, and/or judgment to the extent it arises
out of or is connected in any manner with the operation, use,
distribution or modification of Modified Software, or the combination of
Apple Software or Modified Software with other programs; provided that
Apple notifies Licensee of any such claim or proceeding in writing,
tenders to Licensee the opportunity to defend or settle such claim or
proceeding at Licensee's expense, and cooperates with Licensee in
defending or settling such claim or proceeding.

> Again, this shows that having an "obscure" (in the sense that few poeple
> know how and what it is) license may sometimes be a problem in itself.

Absolutely.  Although, I doubt Apple really cares.  Actually, open
sourcing a program from Apple is pretty miraculous at all; I'm impressed
the Squeak guys managed it!  It's just so sad...  The Debian complaints
are legit -- there are places you wouldn't want to use Squeak because of
its license.

Now, if someone *could* get an ear at Apple, there is the possibility
that the original parts of Squeak could be re-released.  That would rock!

> As the contributors to Squeak hasn't signed over their rights of their
> code to Apple the image currently contains code from several hundreds of
> authors and 99% of those have probably not even said out loud under what
> license their code is released - but you could perhaps argue that it
> would be SqueakL if nothing else has been said.
>
> And if I am not mistaken, in order to change the license of Squeak we
> would need everybody to agree on the new license I guess. This means
> Apple + SqueakC + everybody else who has ever contributed code into the
> base image.

With the caveat that we could throw out code if the author doesn't agree
or if we can't find the author.  But...  the parts that SC did while at
Apple will surely be stuck under the existing SqueakL.  They or someone
would have to rewrite it.

Now that would be interesting -- rebasing Squeak on top of some other
Smalltalk system!!

-Lex