Lots of concurrency

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Wed Oct 24 01:47:18 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Joyce" <daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net>
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2001 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: Lots of concurrency

> I think the reason most programmers have problems with concurrency is that
> they are raised on languages that stress linear thinking, and sequential
> processing.
>
> Someone who learned LISP first tends to see everything as functions, and
> recursion.
>
> Someone who learned C sees everything as sequential ( you can do some
> concurrent programming in it, but it's a PAIN, even the 'simple' cases ).
>
> > - Stephen

I've recently been discussing something similar recently, and I don't think
it is just programmers. A lot of people tend to think sequentially naturally
and it takes a lot for some people to move into a another mode of thinking.
Some oriental spiritualists try to break out by practising various
techniques.

Inherent in the meaning of programming is 'serial' and OO is something
different. (but I won't try to redefine :-))

Regards,
Gary
(My opinions based on casual observation)