Debian and SqueakL revisited again...(was Re: Debian source package)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Oct 24 08:46:36 UTC 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> ... and Stephen Pair wrote:
> >
> > I think the requirement for a new license (if any) should be that it
> > stick as closely
> > as possible to the current SqueakL, and that it be blessed by
> > www.opensource.org.
>
> Well, SqueakL is probably already OpenSource (I guess) so I am not sure
> you really need to change it in order to get it blessed as that.

It's not in the list at http://opensource.org/licenses/ so it's not
officially OpenSource. However, what is there, is the "Apple Public
Source License". IANAL but maybe this licence could apply?

OTOH, how much of Squeak *really* is Apple's? The Mac VM? The image as of
version x.y? The fonts? If this was identifyable, we could start a "Free
Squeak" project that just implements the Apple parts from scratch. I'm
really tired of all this licence babble ...

-- Bert