[ENH][SF] VMMaker platforms tree now imported to SourceForge.net

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Thu Oct 25 01:01:08 UTC 2001

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> I've just imported the platforms tree as suited to VMMaker (see
> http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas and look for the
> latest VMMaker* file(s) ) to SourceForge (see
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeak) in the hope it might actually
> work as a way to let people try it out.

As instructed by the SourceForge page, I opened a terminal window and
logged into the CVS server:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak login

then checked out the "squeak" module

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak co
squeak

(MacCVS instructions are available upon request. :) )

This seems to have worked, although I don't know how I can test if things
are the most recent version.

> Ghu only knows if I managed to do it right; I'm sure a gazillion people
> will tell me all about it if not. Amongst other things, I have no idea
> how binary files will have been treated.

Well, one data point is that some make-specific files (with resource forks
and all) was archived in the "resources.sit" file in the
"squeak/platforms/Mac OS/vm" directory.  I didn't have any problem
extracting this file and using the contents.

> Another possible problem is that in the process of editing the
> CVSROOT/modules file to ad a 'platforms' module, SF appeared to lock up
> on me. Has this left it in a dead state? Am I about to be the first
> squeaker to be arrested by the FBI for terrorist hacking because of
> this? Can anybody else even see the files? (should be under
> 'squeak/platforms' at the moment)

I don't think you needed to change the modules file.  I did get a
platforms directory.

-Eric