[ENH][SF] VMMaker platforms tree now imported to SourceForge.net

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Oct 25 09:54:01 UTC 2001

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Eric Scharff <Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU> is widely believed to have written:
> > As instructed by the SourceForge page, I opened a terminal window and
> > logged into the CVS server:
> >
> > cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak login
> >
> > then checked out the "squeak" module
> sounds good news so far...
>
> > This seems to have worked, although I don't know how I can test if things
> > are the most recent version.
> I think I understand that you will only get the most recent version
> unless you do strange things. But my comprehension of cvs is very
> limited.

Checkout just gives you the latest on the trunk. If you want all the
changes that has happened since you last did a checkout - do an update.

> > Well, one data point is that some make-specific files (with resource forks
> > and all) was archived in the "resources.sit" file in the
> > "squeak/platforms/Mac OS/vm" directory.  I didn't have any problem
> > extracting this file and using the contents.
> Thats good news. I'm concerned that assorted file attributes,
> permissions, types, creators, foobars and dooberries could get lost. And
> if your files lose their dooberries, you're in trouble.
>
> > I don't think you needed to change the modules file.  I did get a
> > platforms directory.
> At least on my personal vcs server, I was able to edit (and commit and
> release) the modules file to add an alias of sorts so that I could
> checkout 'platforms' rather than 'Squeak/platforms' and thereby get the
> dang files to appear in a convenient place. It seems to have edited ok
> on SF but the commit just locked up and never returned. Probably means
> some crucial cvs resource is spinlocking forever...
> I imagine that it might be useful to make some further module/aliases to
> allow one to grab justthe code for a single platform and save connect
> time and disk space.

Well, you can check out any given subtree of what you have imported
without setting up modules - you just give the path to checkout. But
modules are nice.

regards, Göran