[ENH] TranscriptSemaphore-svp

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Oct 25 23:56:06 UTC 2001

from preamble:

"Change Set:		TranscriptSemaphore
Date:			14 October 2001
Author:			Stephen Pair

BugFixing Party @ Camp Smalltalk OOPSLA 2001.  Addresses bug/rfi from
Oct 11, 2001:

...I'm wondering why the access protect semaphore in TranscriptStream is
a class variable.  It seems to me that it should be possible to run
umpteen transcripts at once, hooked to completely asynchronous processes
with no interlock at all.  Sharing a single semaphore means you cannot
do this.  Making it an instance variable should give us the best of both
worlds (interlocks on asynchronous access to shared transcripts, but no
lockout on independent transcripts). - Dan Ingalls

The Semaphore fix originates in a quick hack...I agree that this should
be an instance variable. - Michael Rueger

(Note: this fix has not really been tested. -dew)"!