Debian and SqueakL revisited again...(was Re: Debian source package)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 26 06:02:48 UTC 2001

"Andrew C. Greenberg" <werdna at mucow.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, October 25, 2001, at 08:19  PM, Lex Spoon wrote:
>
> > The main problem Debian has with Squeak-L is the indemnification clause,
> > not the "non-free" parts.  Would you not be worried yourself about
> > agreeing to such a clause?
>
> No.  I would expect anybody who let me play with their code for free, so
> that I was free to do anything I wanted to do with it -- including using
> it to cause damage or infringe, would expect me to hold them harmless
> when THEY got sued for MY conduct.

My issue isn't that *I* can't sue them, but that it sounds like if
someone else sues Apple, I would have to pay for it.

Maybe it's not so important.  I just rechecked the previous discussions,
and it looks like indemnification wasn't the big deal after all.  It
actually was the export restrictions, and Debian seems to be being
overly picky on them.  The restrictions are basically "don't do things
that are illegal", which seems pretty pointless, but it also seems
pretty pointless to quibble over it.

I'll shut up on this; if Marcus or Stephen is around and has a further
comment, I'll leave it to them.

-Lex