[ENH][SF] VMMaker platforms tree now imported to SourceForge.net

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 26 23:14:28 UTC 2001

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> is widely believed to have written:

> > Well VMMaker has been a pretty public project and I've asked Ian things
> > about the make stuff on occasion, so I assume he's aware. Since he
> > actually has a _paying job_ (I want one!) I guess he's busy enough not
> > to be interested in worrying.
>
> Are you sure, though?  He got pretty upset the *last* time people posted
> his stuff to CVS and started hacking on it without him.  I believe he was
> fairly busy back then, too (though maybe not as much as he is now!).

Well IIRC it was mainly an issue of not wanting anyone else changing his
code; personally I'd be delighted to have other people fixing my bugs
for me, but each to their own.  It's a free world - at least until
Ashcroft gets his way.
> Anyway, if you decide to go forward, I have a number of other
> suggestions about that codebase....
Exactly my point. I'm sure there are lots of improvements that remain to
be made in all the code - anything that helps them to be realised seems
a good idea to me.

Where we keep 'master' code doesn't really matter though. SF seems
to me like a good place since they take responsibility for backing up
stuff and providing bandwidth for fetchers. If people want to keep it on
a personal site in a zip file, I couldn't really care. What I want to
see is the VMMaker stuff adopted so that half-a-meg or more of fragile
literal strings can be removed form the image and we can have a better
tool for making more interesting VMs. As long as the files for each
platform are available in a form suited to VMMaker, that's good enough.

If neccessary I'll arrange that myself, until I get bored. Remember how
long it took me to get the exception handling prims accepted? I don't
give up easily.....

tim

Strange OpCodes: CSD: Charge Surreptitiously to DOE