Lots of concurrency

Randy Siler rsiler at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 26 22:15:24 UTC 2001

Huh????

I think Descartes was trying to find something that could be known with
absolute certainty from which he could use the method to construct a larger
and certain view of the world. This seems to me pretty clear in The
Meditations. He starts out recognizing how we can be deceived and step by
step takes it to the logical extreme (where the evil genius is stimulating
what might be simply a brain in a vat) and in the end realizes that even
then "when I doubt, I necessarily exist at least as a doubting thing."

I think this can't be reasonably denied. It's pretty tough to see how anyone
could not be sure that in questioning whether one exists, one must exist.
He may not have been as successful extending the groundwork, but the
foundation is pretty impressive.