Lots of concurrency

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sat Oct 27 20:30:26 UTC 2001

We should also mention George Miller, and our special inspiration
over the years: Jerome Bruner. Bruner especially seemed to have a
great balance of insight, experimental rigor, and a certain modesty
about what he claimed that made his work extremely useful.

I knew Herb and Alan (Newell) pretty well, and always felt they were
trying to force beliefs of theirs into more "scientific"and
"respectable" forms. I don't think they made it.

>(Sometimes people feel this limitation: they want to say so many
>things, but can only pronounce it linear sentence after sentence..)

That's what polyphony on a keyboard is partly about -- to allow one's
multiple parallel thoughts to be expressed in parallel. It is more
difficult in normal language, but that is partly what humor and wit
is for: to express ideas in more than one context at once.

Cheers,

Alan

-----