Lots of concurrency

Andres Valloud sqrmax at prodigy.net
Sat Oct 27 21:57:08 UTC 2001

Hi.

> By the way, how did you knew this was a text in a triangle,
> something you can read?  Only for this image-recognition part
> Stephan Kosslyn (Harvard) proposed a model with at least 15
> subsystems in 1987.

What I said before about having one observer thread observing another
thread is just like what you describe.  We experience just the most
brief flash of "it is a triangle", "it has words", "it looks like
English" and then we're reading.  Through all of this, the results come
from "interrupting" threads which take our attention.  The fact that we
pay attention to only one does not mean there's only one, and certainly
they execute in parallel.

There must be some degree in which we can pay attention to a bunch of
things at the same time.  Alan points out music, and I remember I had a
conversation with one of my professors back in college about how
music-intelligent people were.  He told me they found that some people
remember music they heard just as a single track series of notes, while
others could remember the whole polyphony with proper sounding
instruments and everything.

Andres.