[Modules] Does there exist a sanity check for ModSqueak?

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at iserve11.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 28 06:14:16 UTC 2001

I've been working a bit with ModSqueak ( the latest release from Squeak Foundation, I believe ) and have started to notice a few things that appear out of whack.  There appear to be several classes such as ClusterInstaller which have somehow escaped being assigned to any Module, not even Unmanaged.  There are also methods such as Cluster>>installerClass ( which answers ClusterInstaller ) which appear to be unassigned to any module.

I noticed this because I am looking at porting ModSqueak into VisualWorks ( 3.x for now ).  The interesting thing is that I would have noticed the absence of classes such as ClusterInstaller had Cluster>>installerClass existed in the code that I extracted from ModSqueak.  As it is, I extracted the code based on the Packages and the class and method definitions found within.  So, it seems that these things were perhaps defined outside of the module system.  Assuming that these things really do belong in a ModSqueak module somewhere, is there a reccomended way for me to run a sanity check/repair?  ( workspace that I used to file-out all packages is attached ).

BTW, I find myself thinking that there is probably a strongly Aspect-Oriented flavor to this whole business... I wonder what others with more AO ( or better yet AOPST ) knowledge might think about AOP & Modularity in Smalltalk.  In this case, based on my very limited AOP exposure, it looks like the whole ClusterInstaller "Aspect" went missing somehow- it was quite cleanly missing, no trace whatsoever in the other code that it should have been there.  I think in a way that this says both very positive and slightly negative things about ModSqueak- something went missing, but in a very complete and well-coordinated way ;^).  The things that are missing are easily found in the regular System or RB browsers, btw.

Actually, there are other cases such as ClassInstaller where not all of its methods ( such as #validate ) are in the module system.  Not sure whether these are hints about other "aspects" gone missing or perhaps some other slip.

Thanks!

- les