2 Squeak questions

Dennis Damico dennis_damico612 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 13:24:33 UTC 2001

Hi all,

I'm new to Squeak and Smalltalk. As a new user I can attest to the difficulties of using Squeak without good documentation. There are some excellent tutorials, but they only go so far. And when one attempts to step beyond the tutorial material there are inevitable difficulties. What is needed is more detailed reference material on the objects in the Squeak system.

As a small step toward a solution here are two (mega) questions on areas that I found difficult or confusing. If there are enough responses I'll summarize in a form suitable for posting somewhere.

Question 1: What text morphs are available?

There are tons of text-related objects: AcceptableCleanTextMorph, AlansTextPlusMorph, PluggableTextMorph, Text, TextMorph, TextComponent, TextFieldMorph, TextContainer... Then there's the string set: String, StringMorph, UpdatingStringMorph, StringHolder...

What is the purpose of each? What are their various strengths/weaknesses? Which are recommended?

Question 2: How do coordinate systems work?

In which direction do coordinates increase? Are there exceptions? Are coordinates global to the screen or local to a window or morph? How do you convert between coordinate systems? What is a TransformMorph?

thanks