Lots of concurrency

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Wed Oct 31 15:10:24 UTC 2001

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl wrote:

> In the old LOGO days we let children "Be the mouse"
> - first be a mouse: Step forward, turn right.... hello, you made a
> circle, funny, how comes..
> - then design a script for actions in the classroom on paper and check
> it with your feet.
>
> Taking the viewpoint of the mouse on the screen became easier this way.
>
> The same seams to happen when people are asked to take resposibilty for
> a card, even being the card, during CRC-Cards-Design during a
> scenario-check meeting.

The biggest gripe about my logo days is that I never was able to
understand the big picture of what was going on. Sure, making the turtle
act like a dope was easy as anything but it didn't give me any clue as
to how this could possibly relate to writing real software. Most
notably, there was a really cool shell called "superdos" (Which runs
only on DOS 2.x and 3.x); How do I get that flaming turtle out of my
sight and make stuff that is actually cool?

In a summer camp one time with Logo Writer I spent the entire time
writing a patheticly stupid game. I turn around and someone else in the
same room had designed a game that had actual rooms in it that could be
navigated 3D-man style. The memory still drives me up the wall...

In highschool I was furrious at other kids who knew the mysteries of 32
bit programming and stuff where the computer lab (in 1995) was still
running off of dual-flopy Zenith XTs... I really wanted to rip their
lungs out...

I don't know what the hell I wasn't doing or wheather it was even my
fault at all...

I have finally achieved an understanding of what goes on in my windows
3.11 machine that I feel that I would loose part of my soul if I ditched
it in favor of Linux. (Linux sucks for countless other reasons too).

Sorry for bending your ear like this....

--
Uncle Sam has the Gremlin's touch.
http://users.erols.com/alangrimes/  <my website.