What's "Linking" under the GPL?

Ed Heil uncorrected at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 11:04:34 UTC 2001

I understand that one of the big behind-the-scenes projects that the
FSF and their lawyers are working on for future versions of the GPL is
a better and more general set of definitions for the "linking" issue.
They understand that the license is really written with C in mind and
gets less and less comprehensible as your programming model departs
from a Unix/C like programming model, but it's not a problem that has
an obvious and easy solution.

I remember reading this a year or two ago so there may have been
progress made on this front that I am not aware of.

Ed