[Celeste] msgIDs and sharing categories

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Oct 31 18:13:15 UTC 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:

[snip]
> Ummm, what was the application again?
>
> *** Bijan said :
> Thus, unless I'm confused or mistaken, I cannot share a categorization
> of
> a number of messages with someone else without sharing the particular
> message file (or subset thereof).
> ***
>
> Bijan, could you clarify what you're trying to do?
[snip]

Sure. Let's say I make a category, 'foo'. Into it, I put a number of
messages, sorted by hand.

Now, I want to share that category with you. Since, a category is a just a
list of msgIDs, themselves bearing no inherent relation, If I just give
you the category...no dice. My msgID won't match up *in any way* with
yours.

Perhaps I'm being presumptuous. Normally, if you share a mail folder, I
imagine you send the actual messages within. Bummer.

Email sucks! :)

But the total break between msgID and content, the arbitrariness of the
association, *does* imho make categories a bit less useful. But maybe I'm
hallucinating :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.