Game Programming in Squeak

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Wed Oct 31 22:46:05 UTC 2001

Time will tell.  Id's latest games tend to run on OpenGL engines, so at
the end of the day, most modern rendering is done "under the sheets."
The more games trend in that direction, the more clearly wrong Jon's
prediction will be.

However, let me make an important observation.  The capacity to code a
"state of the art" 3-D simulation product is hardly the same as "Game
Programming."  As an old-fart gray-hair hall-of-fame game designer, I
can tell you that, IMHO, game designing stopped almost concurrently with
the advent of the first person shooter.  For a ten year period beginning
in the late eighties, products denominated as games were defined as Jon
would have it.  Ninety to one hundred percent of the computer resources
dedicated to driving pixels, there was no way to design a game -- it was
all in the visual heat.  And a larger percentage of financial resources
dedicated to the art than to the coding.  In short, much eye-candy,
little game.  Mid-nineties began a sea-change away from that.  Hardware
assisted cards generating far better and deeper rendering than the most
Abrashed of optimized code, game makers used the hardware.  Suddenly,
they had resources they didn't know what to do with.  Lo, and behold,
they started making games again.

The hardware will likely stay way ahead of software mechanics for quite
awhile, and thus a premium will soon be placed on Game Programming
rather than rendering mechanics.

Here is where Squeak and comparable languages can shine.  Better,
deeper, more perfect games are possible in a language where better,
deeper more perfect ideas can be better expressed.

Game Programming in Squeak will DEFINE the state of the art, in a way
that pixel pushing of the past could never conceivably accomplish.