[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Oct 31 23:32:21 UTC 2001

John Hinsley wrote:

 > I'd like to switch from Communicator to Celeste. I don't have any
 > problems with multiple ISPs and such.
 >
 > The problem I do have is simply the huge amount (well, hugeness is
 > relative, currently nudging half a gig and all in standard Netscape 4.7*
 > on *nix format) of stuff I have to transfer over. It can't be as simple
 > as copying all the child directories over, or can it?
 >
 > Ideas, advice and cries of "don't do it!" welcome.
 >
 > Cheers
 >
 > John

I too, would like to switch from Communicator to Celeste.

I use Communicator on WinME (at work, no choice :( ) and at home on
Debian Sid with Mozilla 0.95. I tried Ximian's Evolution but just
didn't/haven't really liked it.

I have 10s to 100+ mailboxes hierarchically organized.
I have close to 600mb and 90,000 messages in mail.

I would love for Celeste to be able to handle that.

It seems to me (maybe incorrectly) that Celeste would need to do
similarly to other clients in that the mail file needs to be broken up
into multiple files, generally according to the mailbox scheme set up by
the user.

In Communicator each mailbox has it's own file and index. I believe
Eudora is similar.

I asked my wife the other day what it would take to get her away from
Eudora. She's open to such a move but it would have to be reasonably
feature equivalent and user friendly. She and my children are currently
on Macs.

It would be nice if Celeste had UI choices (skins, chromes, faces,
whatever). One of which was similar to the other email clients so that a
migration path could be made from Communicator, Outlook, Eudora, etc to
Celeste. After migrating and becoming comfortable with Celeste/Squeak
then they could possibly if they choose move to a potentially different
and more powerful UI.

Being able to import or use standard mbox format mailboxes would be
great. I frequently join mailing lists which have either downloadable
archives or archives available from the mail server. It would be nice
for Celeste to handle that.

For example this mailing list is archived (back to July 01) at:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/

I look forward to using Celeste and hopefully contributing to it's
advancement once I become more Squeak proficient.

Jimmie Houchin