Game Programming in Squeak

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Wed Oct 31 23:57:50 UTC 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:46:05 -0500, "Andrew C. Greenberg"
<werdna at mucow.com> wrote:

> Game Programming in Squeak will DEFINE the state of the art, in a way
> that pixel pushing of the past could never conceivably accomplish.

I agree with you, except you missed the major part of my argument. Pixel
pushing is pretty much all done in hardware now. With hardware rendering,
one of the major processor drains, involving processing large volumes of
data, is scene management.

I've emphasized this in all of my messages. Pushing pixels takes very
little cost now, but scene management with today's complex levels and high
polygon counts is the big hit.

OpenGL hardware doesn't help a single iota with scene management.

Later,
Jon

           http://www.huv.com