[Modules] a summary of joseph's work

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Sep 5 22:35:00 UTC 2001

What's a build list? (and in what vocabulary is that? doesn't ring a
bell from the ones I know..)

[Get updated modules]
Sure, but just getting all the updated modules isn't good enough. Maybe
some modules depend on specific versions I don't want to upgrade? How do
I control my configuration (to use AllenWB's vocabulary)?

I like the Debian system (three configurations - unstable, testing,
stable). This means I choose what configuration I want to update from,
and then when I update I get -
* Everything that's been released, or
* Everything that's been out there for two weeks and isn't branded as
having release critical bugs, or
* Everything that's been marked as not breaking anything else in the
stable configuration.

We could do that - use a repository, three (or whatever) configurations,
and anyone or a package owner can change the status of module versions
to move them between configurations.

You can also have two parallel configuration systems working in
parallel, accessing the same module repository, if two groups have very
different change management cultures (gee, I wonder what made me say
that... ;-)

What do people think about this?

Still doesn't address how to handle the interim stages, where some (like
now - alot) of the code isn't cut up yet.