[pws] Netscape 6 Solved Upload Problems [OR NOT]

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
Wed Sep 5 06:44:42 UTC 2001

Your problem is much bigger then you wish to know.

Lets first start to whisper, because the nerves of the people at Squeakland,
the guys form the swiki & the plugin-crew are a little overstimulated: They
work more then hard to repair all these problems, but every time they kill
one, ten new ones pop-up. (Something like the Medusa-head)

- If you visit www.squeakland.org, they show you an overview of the browsers
that do support the plugin:

#Explorer on Windows, should be higher than 4.5 but not higher then 5.5 SP1,
neither 6.0
#Explorer on the Mac idem
#Netscape under Windows should be higher then 4.0, you say 4.77 works fine,
but 6.1 does not
#Opera 12(?) does not work, the plugin thinks that it is Netscape
 (opera also does not expect a clever sidebar menu like the one of
Squeakland: ends up in mess)
and so on....

by the way, to add to the list:
#Sun's Star5.2 does not work with swikis under Windows.

Uploading has the same kind of problems: Explorer does no longer support
uploads in the new release of Comswiki, Nescape does upload but no plugin...

Lesson one: do never trust the world outside Squeak: Stay in the zoo with
the Squeak-animals behind the bars.

Lesson two: do never try to help the outside world with clever improvements
(like the sidebar-Squeakland-menu)

Question: how worse is the situation on the windows platform? (or are we all
thinking that we are the only ones...?)

A weird story: during the browser war one company did accept
for display ill formatted html-pages
Users thought that the other browsers were less robust: they did not show
pages
So the others also had to do the same
Creative webdesigners did create wondeful effects using this ugly
parser-principle
Hardly every story about XML does start with this ill html-browser-concept
A browser like Opera does show pages according to the W3C rules,
(a nice option is that you as a designer can turn on/off the
stylesheet to see the effect in less ideal situations... so you can make
more robust pages.)

OK, now Checking the startpage of Squeakland with Opera 12....

By the way:
Wish I could help, but I'm still in chapter three of Mark's book: Joe in the
box. I can only tell what I see on the outside of my browser - see story -