[Modules] a summary of joseph's work

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:45:53 UTC 2001

Hi!

--- danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
> What's a build list? (and in what vocabulary is that? doesn't ring a
> bell from the ones I know..)
>
> [Get updated modules]
> Sure, but just getting all the updated modules isn't good enough. Maybe
> some modules depend on specific versions I don't want to upgrade? How do
> I control my configuration (to use AllenWB's vocabulary)?
>
> I like the Debian system (three configurations - unstable, testing,
> stable). This means I choose what configuration I want to update from,
> and then when I update I get -
> * Everything that's been released, or
> * Everything that's been out there for two weeks and isn't branded as
> having release critical bugs, or
> * Everything that's been marked as not breaking anything else in the
> stable configuration.

Yes, Debians way of doing it is brilliant. I second taking a look at it..

And for all of you that haven't used it, well, read up on it first - there are a lot of good
thoughts and functionality in Debian's system that we could learn a great deal from - I mean, hey,
they are handling over 4000 packages with all their interdependencies in three different fronts
(described above) and with a lot of different ways of upgrading. So... just *perhaps* they have
learned a few things along the way... ;-)

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek