[OT] Saving The World.

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Sep 5 16:58:41 UTC 2001

"Andrew C. Greenberg" wrote:

> On Monday, September 3, 2001, at 03:00  AM, Cees de Groot wrote:
>
> > Otherwise, Linux would still be a Finnish CS student's spare time hack
> > (after
> > all, it was not *aimed* at being a commercial alternative to ...).
>
> Are you suggesting that it is a "commercial alternative to" the
> elipsis?  Perhaps in the arena of servers (although FreeBSD seems a far
> better device for that), but where, exactly are we seeing alternative
> uses?

Well, I don't want to suggest that Linux (or any *nix) is perfect (I
like the sound of Lex's "objects instead of files", but have problems
visualising it) and providing people use some kind of *nix (preferably
an Open Source *nix) they won't hear any complaints from me. But I've
seen recent benchmark figures (in Sysadmin) in which Linux beat the
living daylights (under heavy use) out of Solaris, elipsis 2000 and BSD
(and in that order). I know of one German bank, one UK supermarket, the
administration of one city in Florida and many universities which are
using Linux. At some level, these may all claim to be commercial
institutions. Of course, the US government (in the form of NASA and the
NSA) both continue to contribute to Linux at the development level. Sun
(of all people) are issuing their service staff handheld devices which
run Linux! Even Squeakland (all power to them!)run Linux.

Cheers

John

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: