[ENH] StandardFileStream-buffering

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Thu Sep 6 06:13:39 UTC 2001

Leandro,

The CS is nice (and works very well) but running a benchmark makes me feel
that there's no real point in using the buffered version - as an example, I
was doing a "InterpreterSupportCode compileAll" and it took twice as long
(!) using the buffered version compared to the original (unbuffered)
StandardFileStream. Considering that the file primitives on Windows are
quite slow (since they use unbuffered reads through the OS) this result is
somewhat surprising.

Do you perhaps use the buffered versions for other than speed improvements?!
If so, what do you use it for?!

Cheers,
  - Andreas