JPEG Compression?

jmvuletich at sinectis.com.ar jmvuletich at sinectis.com.ar
Thu Sep 6 13:24:57 UTC 2001

John,

I have a first working version of an interface to the
LIBJPG standard reference library. I's written in ANSI C,
and what I did is a small squeak plugin that is linked with
libjpg to build the dll. It can read and write jpeg images
and is really fast. It's nos exactly what you want, but its
a lot easier to do and to mantain, because libjpg will be
kept updated. It's still not finished, that's why I haven't
published it. It should be part of PhotoSqueak, together
with a similar interface to libtiff.
I can send it to you later today, when I get back home.

Regards,
Juan Manuel Vuletich
http://www.sinectis.com.ar/u/jmvuletich/studio.html

>  Bob,
>
>  Many thanks, but I actually already have a solution that
works on Windows.
>  It uses a very fast (and free!) library from Intel. But,
it only works on Pentium
>  and StrongARM processors. I was looking for a truely
cross-platform solution,
>  ideally implemented in Squeak itself with primitives
that can be generated
>  via the ST-to-C translation, like the current JPEG
reader. Such a solution would
>  work on *all* Squeak platforms.
>
>  Thanks for the offer, though.
>
>  	-- John
>

>  >John,
>  >
>  >I have a cheesy JPEGReadWriter
class>>putForm:onFileNamed: method that
>  >writes a BMP file, then uses FFI to launch a batch file
that executes CJPEG
>  >to convert it.  It works nicely, but only for Windows,
and it's far from