a Problem with drag & drop from lists

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 6 23:16:43 UTC 2001

I'm trying to make a simple application that allows you to drag items
between three pluggable lists. So far I've managed to actually make the
basics possible (ie three lists, drag from any list to any other ) but
things go wierd at the edges.

For example, I notice that when I grab something to drag, it is removed
from the list and a blank space left there; unlike in the Browser. Why?
I have been unable to spot any difference in how I'm doing things that
might explain that.

If I drop an item anywhere other than one of my own lists, the transfer
morph slowly ambles back to the origin of the drag and I'm left with the
blank space in my list until I click in the list; again, this doesn't
happen to the Browser.

And lastly (for now!) the size of the visual representation of the
transfer morph is huge, again unlike the Browser.

I've gone quite cross-eyed from trying to work out the differences that
are causing this and could do with some suggestions before I go blind.
Nothing on the swiki seems to cover this.

tim

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.