[VM] [CRASH] Close button in ALL halos is crashing.

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Fri Sep 7 02:42:36 UTC 2001

Scott,

> Do an 'Alt-o' to get the Objects browser morph, or Alt-b to
> get a browser, basically any systemwindow. Then rightclick
> to get the halo. Then click the (X) to destroy the object.
> I do not mean the close button on the titlebar, but the
> close in the halo. This seems to be true for all halo's.
>
> The VM becomes unresponsive, not even the interrupt key wakes
> it up.. The first time I did it, I also got a segmentation
> violation.

This might be a sound problem. When you hit the close button the system
attempts to play a sound and if my memory serves me right then there are
still a few problems with sound on Unix machines. Try the following: Go into
the preferences (world menu, help, preferences) and turn off the
"soundsEnabled" preference (in the media section). Then try your example
again and see if it's still getting unresponsive.

> BTW, where is the menu that contains a list of all morphs in
> the system?

It's dead in the water ;-) No, seriously, the objects tool has superseeded
the old menu (since there were plenty of Morphs that didn't really like
being opened that way and the objects tool requires a one liner to declare
that "it's okay to get this guy"). But you can actually get it back by
turning on the "classicNewMorph" preference (in the "morphic" section of
preferences).

Cheers,
  - Andreas