debugger doesn't restart

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Sep 7 18:07:40 UTC 2001

Craig Latta wrote:

>         "Proceed" wouldn't do what I want... It wouldn't unwind to and reset
> the selected context, it would just proceed from the most recent
> context. I usually want to re-run from the beginning of the selected
> context, without having to perform two sets of gestures (and wait for
> the associated window dance).

Yeah, that's what I figured.  I haven't gotten in the habit of doing this for whatever reason... usually the most recent context is good enough for me (but not always, which probably causes occasional problems).

>         Interesting. I usually have no idea where I'm going to want to start
> stepping again, it's typically the "next bug", dozens of (time-consuming
> :) steps away. But this is certainly a useful feature. I'd add a new
> action for that, called "reset". "Restart" to me implies that the
> process under observation will start running again.

That probably is a better idea than having a preference.  On the other hand, the button bar is already a bit crowded.  But we could make some room by getting rid of the "Where" button *if* someone improved things so that text selection highlighting in ParagraphEditor was non-global (so that selections stay highlighted when you move the mouse out of a text pane), but then that's a decent bit of work. :)

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com