[ENH] SerialPort, remember them?

Ken G. Brown kbrown at tnc.com
Sun Sep 9 23:46:10 UTC 2001

Hi,
I too am now playing with serial ports, both on my Mac at home and on
a Windows 2000 machine at work...not having a whole lot of luck so
far although I have managed on W2000 when the ports are connected by
a null modem cable, to read on com2 what I've sent out on com1. So
far am unable to similarly read from an external device.
Can you give me any tips? Especially on my Mac as that is what I'm
working on at the moment.
Which is port 1 on Mac, the modem or the printer? Port 1 seems to
open ok, but port 2 gives a primitive failed error.
I see that your change set appears to be in the image (3.1Alpha4332).

What I'm basically attempting to do at work is continuously read from
an external device, splitting into different streams (displayed on
separate windows) depending on a character received with the high bit
set. eg if I receive a char hex 80, the following chars will get
displayed on one window until an different char eg hex 81 gets
received wherupon the following chars will get displayed on a second
window. The intent is to be able to differentiate which part of the
program, different debug statements are coming from via one port on
an instrument.
Thx for any and all help.
   Ken

At 20:04 -0400 on 2000/06/27,  David N. Smith \(IBM\) is rumored to
have written: