Exploiting multiprocessors

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 04:01:48 UTC 2001

Gary McGovern wrote:

> I'm interested to learn something about that. Would that mean an embedded
> Squeak or a particular OS ?
>
> Regards,
> Gary

Well, the multiprocessor bit would mean using an OS which supports
multiple processors. (On Intel that means NT4/5 or Linux). I'm sure
there's someone out there running Squeak on a dual (or more!) processor
board. After you go beyond one board, it starts to get very tricky
indeed. Different processes seem to respond to different kinds of
parallel processing.
( /usr/doc/howto/en/Parallel-Processing-HOWTO.gz and
/usr/doc/howto/en/Beowulf-HOWTO.gz for some ideas and references -- on
SuSE, at least).

I know that Jecel and others have discussed (massively) parallel
smalltalks on this very list.

Cheers

John (currently about to give up the ghost on trying to get Linux to use
all its RAM and run on swap...guess that pre-emptive multi-tasking is
just too clever for me to beat!)

--
Can't cope anymore? Desperate for help?
Join the 12 step program for those who yearn to give up Microsoft: