[Problem]: Squeak won't come up under my Unix

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Sep 10 22:25:28 UTC 2001

>Hi!
>
>I spent the last few days trying to get Squeak to run on my machine, an
>m68k-apple-NetBSD1.5.1 system. The virtual machine compiles without a
>problem, but when I try to start Squeak, I get:
>
>This visual class is not supported.
>
>And that's it.
>
>I run X11R6 with xdm and twm on a monochrome display.
>
>Is there any chance to get it running?
>
>Best regards!
>
>	Alex

Well I did build a Squeak 2.8 unix vm using OpenBSD 2.7 on an SE30
last year . However I think I set the display to a linux box
somewhere. Actually I just tried it and that Squeak 2.8 image slowly
floats to the top of my FREEBSD box. So I am wondering if you have a
problem with the fact that you are attempting to use a monochrome
display. Have you tried setting the display to a machine that
supports color. Of course there might just be some magic to get it to
work with a monochrome X-windows machine.