Build your own robot: a way to learn Java

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 11 16:18:29 UTC 2001

> > I'm not sure what is the goal of this project is but it seems that
> > they try to teach Java using robots.
> >
> > http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/home/home.html

Interesting.  I was just playing "Droid Quest" (droidquest.com), a Java
clone of Robot Odyssey, which is a game that teaches you digital logic
by programming robots, and wondering what a software version of the game
would be.

Literally, Robot Odyssey is programming on-screen robots with digital
logic.  That sounds pretty dull, doesn't it?  However, the feel is
completely different from "today, class, we will learn about digital
logic".  Instead of the player building adders and multiplexers, which
it is really hard to care about, you are using your robots to try and
escape from the sewers of Robotropolis -- oh my!

Returning to RoboCode, you do *NOT* have the robots fight each other to
make an interesting game!  (Despite the popular stereotypes, even young
males think about other things than killing each other!)   I think the
people who made this Robocode must never have seen Robot Odyssey, which
has puzzles such as:

	1. Retrieve an object from various kinds of mazes (and bring it back!)

	2. Pass a key from one object to another, which in turn puts the key in
a keyhole.

	3. Home in on and grab an object that is randomly moving around.  And
bring it back.  :)

	4. (one of the hardest) have one robot navigate a minefield, by taking
advantage of a copy of the minefield that has duds instead of real
mines.

I like the idea of using games as a motivation.  To wax philosophical, a
difficulty with systems like Logo and E-Toys is for the learner to
motivate themselves with a problem -- you start with a blank screen, and
must create not only an interesting solution, but an interesting
problem.  But robot's blasting each other?!  Come on!  How about a mouse
escaping from Cat's Haven, instead?

Eep!  I mean, Squeak!

-Lex