[OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Sun Sep 16 20:10:20 UTC 2001

On Sunday, September 16, 2001, at 03:42  PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> The specific aspect of the DMCA that I believe should be found
> unconstitutional is that which makes it a crime to discuss copyright
> technology, including such aspects of it as may be subject to
> circumvention.
> It may be illegal it *implement* techniques related to copyright
> circumvention, outside of academia/research, but it should never been
> illegal to discuss it.

When you are able to cite a provision that makes it illegal merely to
discuss circumvention technology, in or out of academic research, I'll
lead the fight to invalidate it.  No doubt Judge Whyte's injunction in
Remierdes was overbroad -- the question before the Second Circuit -- but
that language can't be found in the statute.  No doubt Dmitry Sklyarov
gave a speech prior to his arrest, but he was not arrested for giving a
speech.