[OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sun Sep 16 20:51:43 UTC 2001

Andrew,

> When you are able to cite a provision that makes it illegal merely to
> discuss circumvention technology, in or out of academic research, I'll
> lead the fight to invalidate it.  No doubt Judge Whyte's injunction in
> Remierdes was overbroad -- the question before the Second Circuit -- but
> that language can't be found in the statute.  No doubt Dmitry Sklyarov
> gave a speech prior to his arrest, but he was not arrested for giving a
> speech.

IIRC, you are a lawyer.  Would you please comment on this article, wherein a
Dutch researcher states that he will "not be publishing his findings out of
fear of the legal ramifications."

Profession Felton has made similar comments.

This is the kind of thing that people are talking about, when they refer to
censorship.  If they wanted to pick up Sklyarov because of a program he
worked on, they could have picked him up at the airport, or refused him
entry to the country.  Instead, they picked him up after he spoke.  I seem
to recall reading a comment form a gov't prosecutor that he wanted this case
to test the DMCA provisions.

	--- Noel