[OT] Two more algorithms books

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Sun Sep 16 23:29:49 UTC 2001

All:

Slightly off subject, but if you collect algorithm books, here are two more worth taking a look at. Such books don't happen often, but we seem to be in a small flurry right now. (See my earlier post about calendar algorithms.)

This one is the second edition of a book published 11 years ago that got rave reviews. It is huge, and "Introduction" does not mean your 10 year old (or a typical freshman) will find it easy. I show an augmented listing of Amazon's info here; The paper version is only $20 less and will probably be much more fragile.

Introduction to Algorithms
by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, cl Stein
List Price: $69.95
Our Price: $69.95
Hardcover 2nd edition (September 2001)
MIT Press; ISBN: 0262032937 ; Dimensions (in inches): 2.12 x 9.33 x 8.33 ISBN 0-262-03293-7, 1184 pp.
(Also available in paper.)

Sedgewick is known for algorithm books FOR freshmen or sophomores. He's massively expanded the coverage of his earlier books. I have not seen Parts 1-4 (in one volume), but this one caught my eye; I just got it and it is rich with info & code, and dense with information. His target audience seems to have changed.

Algorithms in C Part 5: Graph Algorithms
by Robert Sedgewick