[rant] Re: [OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 17 22:40:38 UTC 2001

Hi Stephen (and fellow Squeakers),

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 05:48:45PM -0400, Stephen Pair wrote:
> I can't believe what I just read...this is truly despicable.  Cees, it
> saddens me that you feel this way.

That he feels what way?  That he calls for compassion towards the
Afghans, who are already among the most impoverished and oppressed
people on the planet, and whose leaders would not be in power if they
hadn't been supported by the CIA in the first place?  Now their
leaders are harboring a suspected terrorist, and although there is as
yet no convincing evidence that he was responsible for Tuesday's sad
events, your leaders and most of your populace are prepared to bomb
them again.  I have heard no words indicating a determination that
this not turn into another Iraq, where US bombs continue to fall while
the people suffer and the leader's position is as strong as ever.

Would you blame an Afghani youth who, after losing his family to
America's quest for vengeance, heads to the mountains and prepares
himself to be yet another suicide bomber?  This is the cycle of
violence that Cees is imploring America to break.

> Let us be thankful that most of us live in a world where power
> structures are not determined through violent means.  For all of its
> faults, capitalism and democratic civilian governments have at least
> given us the opportunity to ponder an even better existence.  I don't
> expect that I will live to see the evolution of civilization beyond it's
> current basis in capitalism, but I do expect to help lay the foundation
> for such a civilization in the future.
>
> The events of Tuesday remind us all that there are those on this planet
> that seek to turn back the clock to a time when people were ruled
> through voilence and intimidation...and the only language they know is
> violence.
>
> Cees, if you think that I, as an American, am going to stop for even a
> second and ponder why this act was committed, you are sorely mistaken.
> My only concern in this matter is justice.

You have no concern that other innocent people are not harmed while
bringing bin Laden to "justice"?  Don't you realize that if the USofA
bombs Afghanistan "back into the Stone Age" (as many Republicans are
calling for), then all those who support the strikes are:
	-no better than the terrorists and,
	-fueling the kind of hate that lead to Tuesday's attack

Some of Cees' rant against the excesses of American consumption (which
I happen to agree with) may have been ill-timed, given the shock and
grief that Americans are suffering.  However, his call for compassion
for the probable victims of the upcoming war is a welcome relief to
the rhetoric I've been bombarded with by the single-minded American
media machine.

Please try to see Cees' message as the call for a less violent world
that it primarily is.

Joshua