[rant] Re: [OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Sep 17 23:10:57 UTC 2001

Stephen Pair wrote:

	Cees, if you think that I, as an American, am going to stop for even a
	second and ponder why this act was committed, you are sorely mistaken.
	My only concern in this matter is justice.

This is getting us even further off topic, but
HOW THE HELL CAN WE HAVE JUSTICE WITHOUT PONDERING?

It is *essential* to understand why the act was committed in order to
take *effective* steps to stop further deaths of the innocent.  It is
precisely the refusal to ponder on *both* sides which has brought us
this far.  I fully agree that the people who did this dreadful thing must
be brought to justice.  But what should be done to stop other people
wanting to do the same kind of thing?

Wars have a terrible habit of killing even more innocent people, and
laying up hatred for more wars in the future.  (Like WWI leading to WWII.)
That isn't justice.

If I became dictator of this country, I would do two things:

1.  Cause to be written in large letters in the House of Parliament and
    in every court this quotation from Oliver Cromwell:

	Brethren, I beseech you in the bowels of Christ,
	CONSIDER IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU MAY BE WRONG.

2.  Resign.