[rant] Re: [OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Tue Sep 18 11:16:55 UTC 2001

Yeah, but Richard also thought the forking of Squeak was a good
idea.  :-)

As there, I think Richard's sentiments, while clearly well-intended, are
greatly misguided.

Stephen was not arguing so much against reflection and introspection as
against the suggestion that the evil of this obscenity can be overlooked
for any "reasons" raised in its defense.  Stephen was suggesting that
the nature of the act, in and of itself, was of such enormity as to make
irrelevant to the culpability of its perpetrators any purported
justifications.  He is, of course, quite correct: How can the
indifferent murder of thousands of innocents, requiring detailed
planning and cold, monstrous calculation in its execution, be justified
or excused?

It cannot.  Such conduct is, on its face, unforgivable and wholly evil.

It is entirely unnecessary --for purposes of justice-- to contemplate
any reasons purporting to account for the act.  The premeditated murder
of thousands directly, and indirectly hundreds more of our bravest and
best, cannot have been in self-defense, nor been undertaken in the "heat
of passion," as those justifications are understood in Western
jurisprudence.

It is, of course, useful for other purposes to understand motives of an
enemy who would do this, perhaps to better anticipate how to prevent
them from doing further harm and to apprehend them -- but for no other
reasons that come to mind.

Their "reasons" are otherwise irrelevant.  Appeasement for terrorism is
not an option.  However, our reasons and justifications for our conduct
must, as Richard suggested, be carefully considered.  On the other hand,
apart from strategic and tactical planning, which is quite hard, this is
not anywhere near a close question.