[rant] Re: [OT] Will the SSSCA outlaw Squeak?

Rob Withers rwithers12 at mediaone.net
Tue Sep 18 14:12:40 UTC 2001

Andrew, thank you for these clarifying remarks.  I would only add, since it seems that we are discussing this here, that there is another useful perspective to infer from these reasons of terrorism, since it was not an irrational act.  This conflict has been happening for at least 23 years, since the Iran Hostage affair.  More likely, it is centuries in the coming, and in recent history exacerbated by the British redivision of political boundaries in the Middle East, followed by inaction to settle the Israel-Palestine issue.  A festoring sore that is.

At it's core, this is about two civilizations clashing for dominance in the world.  One is a progressive, free, liberal society, supporting modern concepts such as equal opportunity for women and low barriers to social mobility.  The other is an anachronistic, conservative culture, that is "in mortal fear" that our culture undermines their basis for existence.  How can they effectively maintain a cruel system of government (check out Amnesty International if you are interested in the way Taliban, for example, executes governance of it's state), if their people are aware of our freedoms.  Only by calling us as the Great Satan and declaring Jihad.  Nothing else is rational to their minds.

If we do not address this now at the level of civilization and power, a weapon of mass destruction will be used in the next 25 years in the west.  There are many countries in the Middle East with developmental programs.

Let us consider the current events in this light and realize that the perceived abuses in the world, by the reigning superpower, is balanced by two things.  The US' "Marshall Plans" to clean up historically Germany, Japan, and Europe, and more recently many other countries in the world.   The scale of abuses by countries such as Afghanistan far, far outweigh our actions, IMHO.  Consider how the Taliban came to power and how they have solidified that power.   We are lucky to have such a state of affairs that we can debate these issues.

sorry for dragging this on, but in this case I hereby turn in my suit of liberalism and go hard-line conservative.
regards,
Rob