[ENH][Modules] Another version

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:04:43 UTC 2001

Hi!

--- Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> wrote:
[SNIP]
> I am hoping for either or both of the "competing" repository authors to jump
> in (hint hint), or someone else of course. Anyone volunteering can count on
> good support from me. My idea was to start with something much simpler than
> e.g. CVS, that initially would more or less just allow us to easily share
> contributions (simple up- and downloading).

Well, anyway. :-) This could be a motivator for me to add a few functions to SqueakCVS making it
fully functional. I will look into it and get back when I have something we might "plug in".

> Note: Java people tend to complain loudly about problems with the classpath.

Well, the classpath in Java has a few problems. The constant adding/removing stuff to the
classpath variable is a bit annoying. Sometimes I simplify it by just having one directory in the
classpath where I simply unpack all the jarfiles into one big tree.

Another thing is that the order matters in the classpath since the jarfiles/directories in the
beginning might include classes that override classes in a jarfile later in the path. That can
really make you go nuts trying to find out why something isn't working.

So... :-) A better solution? Haven't really thought about it, but it seems that it could be
simplified. As always, perhaps there are ideas to be found within Debians package system?

Some form of distributed registry over the net which can resolve symbolic names into concrete urls
would be interesting

Anyway, keep up the good work Henrik!

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek