HELP! Mac vs Win display using DisplayScreen>>depth:width:height:fullscreen:

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Sep 20 12:38:44 UTC 2001

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Ned Konz wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 September 2001 05:44 pm, David N. Smith (IBM) wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > I've been using DisplayScreen>>depth:width:height:fullscreen:  (with
> > fullscreen set to TRUE) at start up of an application on the Mac for over a
> > year. I run 1024x768 screen and show a 600x800 morph. I get a full screen
> > with the morph centered and a white border. Works great. (I'm on 2.8 for
> > various porting and stability reasons, and I've tested various sized Mac
> > screens to make sure it works.)
>
> [snip]
>
> > Anyone know of any workarounds, tricks, or whatever? While I hate to test
> > for the platform, if I have to I will.
>
> Does
>         Smalltalk fullScreenMode: true
> do anything for you?
> DisplayScreen>>depth:width:height:fullscreen: doesn't seem to force
> fullscreen on my Windows system; on Linux it doesn't seem to do anything at
> all.

Yes, it's a no-op in Linux. The method comment says

	"Force Squeak's window (if there's one) into a new size and depth."

The behaviour in fullscreen is undefined. The Mac version seems to achieve
a good compromise when the VM can not (does not want to?) change the
screen resolution. I propose other implementations should follow it. [The
white border seems odd, though - I would have expected a black one]

-- Bert