BookMorph size and printing

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Fri Sep 21 19:20:02 UTC 2001

From: "Ned Konz" <ned at bike-nomad.com>
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>

> On Thursday 20 September 2001 10:25 am, Gary McGovern wrote:
>
> > I use Win 95 (no flames please) and there is no option to print PS file.

>But it's easy enough to save a
> GIF or something else. Unfortunately, I don't think >that there was
Windows
> printing support in 3.0. How did you intend to use a real printer, anyway?

Printing a BookMorph page like a web page would be printed.

> Here's my method to save a drawing (a PasteUpMorph, so it'll work on your
> BookMorph pages) as a GIF file

Thanks for this, I'll need a bit more time with it.

> > Yes, Ned, I took a look at your NCScrolledCompositeStateMorph.
> > and I think a book morph page similar to that would be great. But I
noted
> > if an embedded morph was resized the scrollbars didn't resize
> > automatically.

> What do you mean by embedded morph? The PasteUpMorph inside the Scroller
or
> some morph on the PasteUpMorph? The scrollbars' size relate to the size of
> the underlying PasteUpMorph, not its contents. Ah, I just noticed that if
you
> resize the PasteUpMorph, the ScrollPane has to have setScrollDeltas
called.

I meant a morph such as an ellipse embedded in the PasteUpMorph.

> What's needed for both the BookMorph and the NCScrolledCompositeStateMorph
is
> a TwoWayScrollPane with a PasteUpMorph that calls the ScrollPane's
> setScrollDeltas on its changed method. And maybe it could be smart enough
> that when the ScrollPane gets resized, the PasteUpMorph could expand as
> needed so it's not showing any blank parts.
>
> You seem to want to have the scroll bars sensitive not to the size of the
> underlying PasteUpMorph, but to its contents, right?

Probably both.

 I suppose that's another
> way to do it, though it wouldn't work easily with the existing setup,
unless
> the PasteUpMorph managed to tell the Scroller to re-position itself based
on
> the PasteUpMorph's contents. And how would you add a new Morph outside the
> existing bounds if you couldn't scroll past them?

I was thinking of resizing through the all parts working in sync. Seems
that's not so simple. I have to learn more of the protocols.

> Another problem is changing the PasteUpMorph size; unless you give the
user
> access to the halos (which isn't necessarily a good idea) there isn't a
good
> way to do this. And dropping a Morph outside the PasteUpMorph won't work.
So
> you need to make the PasteUpMorph big enough. How did you imagine doing
this?

I have to look more at that. To be honest I don't like two way scrolls at
all. I'd prefer a trackball or joystick to maneuvre a large page and a
couple of buttons that could extend the width or height of a page. It would
make an odd book but.... What do you think of that idea, if there was a
trackball/joystick and buttons in the control panel ?

> What do you mean "an ordinary morph"? You can put anything in a
> TwoWayScrollPane:

Well, I've since found that out. :-))
Thanks a lot.

From: "John Hinsley" <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk>
>We'll turn you into a penguin head yet!

When I can use my modem, zip, scanner and Squeak, I'll use it a lot more
than I do.  ;-)

Regards,
Gary