PluggalbeTextMorph eats cr

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Sep 21 21:49:39 UTC 2001

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> I have the following working nicely, send the stuff I type out the serial
> port:
>
> controlPane _ PluggableTextMorph
> 				on: self
> 				text: nil
> 				accept: #sendTextToControl:.
> 	controlPane acceptOnCR: true.
>
> However, if I just do a cr without any text, the cr gets eaten somewhere and
> my #sendTextToControl: does not get accessed.

Is it that it doesn't get accessed, or there's no text to send? I mean,
there are three reasonable possibilities:

	1) #sendTextToControl: is not invoked.
	2) It is invoked but passed #nil (unlikely)
	3) It is invoked but passed the empty string.

My guess is that the latter is what's happening. I also bet that there's
no *trailing* cr when you do have text.

If you want to have a cr when there's an empty string, just modify
#sendTextToControl: to test for an empty string and do the deed.

If you want a cr *only* when an "empty" cr occurs (i.e., when an empty
textmorph gets accepted by some other means you *don't* want a cr), well,
that's more complicated.

So, I'll wait until you explicitly ask for that :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.