[Squeak Installer] SqM - PDK - RFC - Etc

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at home.com
Sun Sep 23 03:24:57 UTC 2001

Dear List,

    This is a request for chat on the Plugin Developer Kit for Micro Modular
Mob VM which is part of Squeak Installer.

    Everything in SqM is a plugin. The micro kernel itself is also
structured as a plugin.

    If the chats generate positive responses, I like to look for co-sponsors
from the VM experts and plugin gurus so that the PDK can be submitted to
Squeak Central for considerations and blessings.

    It is my hope that small groups (1 person is the smallest group) will
get interested in maintaining one or more plugins for one or more platforms.

    It is my belief that we have everything to gain adopting this approach.
One day, there will be no more compiler warnings when the plugins are
compiled. WindowPlugin will not be loaded when Squeak is running a headless
image and these are not the only improvements possible.

   I plan to look for a home for a sample implementation of SqM for Win32
platform. Please advise how best can this be done.

    This sample implementation is just a quick protoype in C ;-). The
hardest part as I see it, is the porting back into Slang and being
accomodated by the VMMaker.

    Please find attached the file SqMPDK.zip which contains the header files
of the plugins and a sample plugin, ModManPlugin. It can't be emphesized
enough that everything is still very rough. It is my hope that this
community will polish SqM if it can prove to be of any worth.

    Thanks for your attention.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo