[Ann] [Module] prealpha port of Ginsu available at Squeak Foundation

ducasse stephane ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 23 19:12:57 UTC 2001

on 23/9/01 4:03 pm, Hannes Hirzel at hirzel at spw.unizh.ch wrote:

> Stephane
>

> Thank you for your porting efforts (especially after your exam on
> Friday!! May we congratulate?).
Yes this was just a lot of effort before ;)

> I' have not followed closely the implementation efforts for a module
> system.
> I would be interested in knowing what 'Ginsu' is in a general sense.

Ginsu is a tool to decompose an application like Squeak into module (not a
scoping mechanism but in the sense of code management) like Envy
applications. Ginsu defines how application can be built from a set of
modules (the versioning aspect is missing).

With Ginsu you can specify your module and their dependencies and classes
are sorted and the modules are created. This is quite simple and effective.
You can read more about Ginsu at Squeak Foundation web site.

I see that you are from switzerland ;). Are you aware of SSUG
www.iam.unibe.ch/~ssug/ (swiss Smalltalk User Group because we are at Berne
;)