[Ann] [Module] prealpha port of Ginsu available at Squeak Foundation

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Sep 23 22:11:42 UTC 2001

Great! thanks Stef.

ducasse stephane <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> I put the port I made of Ginsu availabel at SqueakFoundation
> http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/stablesqueak/1
> This  is the first release. The graphical tools do not work because I do not
> know how to port 2.8 morphic into 3.1 so if somebody can help me this would
> be great.
Remove calls to #inset:. If your asthetic sense cries out, replacing it
with #borderWidth: might help a little, but it works like that. Got the
ModulesBrowser to work for me. Well, to load. Caused another walkback
pretty quick.

Another something that helps - it seems the sources are filled with lfs
and crlfs in all the wrong places. (Could this be a packaging problem?
Stef, does your code have this problem?)

After changing all those around to Squeaks preffered style, I got my
menus back and the tools worked some more.

I can get into all the packages in the package tree, but some of them
are empty. For example, the Refactory. And I can't find it in the
unmanaged code either. Very mysterious. BTW, this is after building the
modules, removing the RB tests, and rebuilding the modules again. Any
ideas?

Anyway, I can look at code in the ModulesBrowser. Two problems now - the
submenus cause walkbacks. File in the attached file, that should fix it
(though it's a hack - probably the client code in the tool should be
fixed instead. For now...). And there's a silly text morph below the
code pane. What is that?

> The zipped file contains everything to build Ginus from a Squeak3.0-4332
> image. You should load first the RB paroject and remove the test of RB else
> this is toolong ;)
Damn, didn't understand what you meant until after I'd made that
mistake... :-)

> I tested the zipped file and recreated everything well so normally you
> should not have problem. However, I will try to updload my images to the
> SqueakFoundation Wiki but my bandwidth is small ;). I tired but failed
> several times ;(
Instead of including the RB project, upload only your code. People can
load the RB by doing -

Project fromUrl:
'http://squeak.heeg.de:8080/TFODC69UQ0MFRIHMG40DRML1CU7VYZ9-3/Squeak%20R
B.pr.gz'

> Things that have to be done:
>    - fix the tests
Using SUnit 3.0 from SourceForge brings the error down to 26! it's an
easy step forward! ;-)

>    - complement the semanticl model (or find a way to remove it I was
> wondering if we could not have a globalVariableDefinition and
> ClassDefinition in palin Smalltalk but causally connected).
!? remove it? I heard you say that before. Why? being able to work on
unloaded code sounds nice. What's the bad side?

>    - fix the UI so that we can use the tools
Not that hard...

>    - work on the versioning
What exactly is missing? where do you see it?

> Stef
>
> So I'm waiting for your feedback.
I like what I see for now. Still need to test what those repository
related menu items do...