[ENH] VMMaker overwrite files and unix success (with a few problems) (was: v2 first release now available)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 24 16:08:04 UTC 2001

"Rob Withers" <rwithers12 at mediaone.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Tim,
>
> I just noticed that you aren't generating the plugin header files, when you
> generate plugins.  These are the files that are in the platforms/Cross.
> directory.  What do we do when a plugin changes it's export interface?
> Can't we generate that file, just like we generate the exports?
Consider what is in the files; there is often more than just the list od
interfaces. I suppose it should be reasonable to generate _part_ of the
files, the interface listings, but at some point you have to stop being
clever and make a usable tool! We _could_ have all sorts of clever
stuff, like adding a method to a plugin notifying a cvs site so that
everyone registered gets an email to make sure to update. Go for it.

> [exports]
> It's the sqNamedPrims.c file that is of interest for the internal plugins.
Actually the .h file, which is generated from the exports list.

> I noticed that the RiscOS (Acorn?) needs an exports file for each external
> plugin as well.
Yes, the plugin mechanism requires a sort of linker-data file that I
have to generate from the exports list of each _external_ plugin.
Internal ones don't need that of course.

>   You are scanning the platforms/<os>/plugins to build the
> availablePlugins list.  I would like to recommend that we also scan the
> <src> directory (both plugins and vm) *and* the sqNamedPrims.h, to build a
> generated configuration list.
Can't see how that would help; the sqNamedPrims is generated from the
external plugins list at 'generate' time, and the src tree is 'write
only' sort-of.

[lots of clever stuff snipped]
...but I think it takes so little time to regenerate on a reasonable
machine that it simply isn't worth the effort to do all this interlock
stuff.

tim
Strange OpCodes: WBT: Water Binary Tree