[modules] Cutting the knot

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Wed Sep 26 00:08:12 UTC 2001

It sounds like Dan expects criticism, but I'm not going to oblige. :)

I am pleased with the decision to adopt any modules scheme, and the design
goals as articulated by Dan match with the stuff I'm trying to do with
Squeak as well.

I did want to comment on something else, though...

> We feel that as soon as we achieve the first goal, Squeak will
> disappear.  In other words, the significance of Squeak as a vehicle for
> easily-authored multimedia content will dwarf that of Squeak as a
> development environment, and all the activity of this mailing list will
> likely pale by comparison to work on active content.

I'd be thrilled if and when this becomes true.  When Squeak is used by
those who are interested in generating rich, multimedia, educational
content, then hopefully we'll all be glad.

I don't know if SqC disagrees with me, but I don't think that development
environment issues ever disappear, though.  The analogy to AutoCAD /
AutoLisp immediately comes to mind.  AutoLisp provides much of the power
behind AutoCAD, and as AutoCAD has distanced itself from a powerful
scripting and development system, it has lost some of its power.

What Dan discusses is design activity, design of content.
*Facilitating* this process remains hard.  What I attempt
to do in my work is a kind of "meta-design" activity.  I try to make tools
that help people design (designing design activities).  This is perhaps a
way to think about SqC's work too.

Meta-design is itself a hard problem.  In the context of Squeak,
powerful development tools to help facilitate design activities will remain
important.  We won't be able create tools for designers if the tools for
the software developers aren't good enough.  Squeak is exciting because
of its ability to be open at all levels, and I suspect it will be a key
to its success.  (I'm excited, at least!) I hope that one won't replace
the other, but that we will see Co-evolution of design tools and
development tools.

And if someone wants to teach a poor software developer how to use
modules, I'll be in your debt.

-Eric