[BUG][FIX][UNIX][VM] Finally got X clipboard working with Qt/KDE

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Sep 26 00:21:37 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 25 September 2001 03:53 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Hi Unixers,
>
> I just found a document describing in what ways current X apps deviate
> from the ICCCM in handling cut/copy/paste. Maybe someone can bring the
> Squeak VM up to date: http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards.txt

I looked at CLIPBOARD but couldn't find any of my apps that supported it,
other than Netscape 4.77. KDE doesn't because I'm using Qt 2.3 which only
looks at PRIMARY.

So we'd have to copy to both CLIPBOARD and PRIMARY, which seems excessive
since there's no selection-only mode in Squeak (yet). This is because many
apps don't do anything with CLIPBOARD.

To have PRIMARY work the way that Unix apps do, you'd have to assert a
selection after every change in text selection. We'd need a primitive for
that. And since there is no equivalent functionality in Windows (just a
single clipboard), this would make us have to add a no-op function to the
Windows (and Mac?) support code for the "current selection".

I could see adding code to assert the CLIPBOARD selection as well as the
PRIMARY selection on explicit copy; that way, clients could use either one.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com